Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

How a star was made! A sneak peek into the creative world of an alluring pearl woman. African pride:Liz Ogumbo.


Wow!
My pearl sis Liz, a woman of many talents oozes with confidence as she goes for it. Check this out! A computer science graduate, a model, fashions designer, a singer and songwriter, a businesswoman. What can’t my black sister do? To sum it up an all rounder yet passionate with all she does.
As soon as Liz stepped into the world of modelling, she knew exactly how to get focused. A woman bold and confident with a very strong will. We just can’t stop loving her drive.
Although her great gran was a singer and made a great living out of it.  Her mum a seamstress too, though  something she did as a hobby. Liz never considered these as some thing she would embrace as a career. Though, she has always been in love with fashion and ever since she embraced fashion as a way to express her womanhood and style but never a career.









  

 



















Q: You have a lot going on. Who is Liz?
  I am an African creative entity in love with life!
Q: How was it growing up and how did you get here?

I look at my passion for both music and fashion as a lifestyle other than a career as I know I was born into it. Music is what I grew up on and my mum and dad played a major active role in bringing music close to our hearts. We have used every opportunity as an excuse for singing; during prayers, whenever we had guests, as we work, even at the lost of a loved one. We have always sang in my family.
R.J Benjamin and Baba Buntu were producers of KenSoul my debut album which is laced with heavy weight collaborations from artists such as Zuba, Tumi, MXO, and R.J himself. KenSoul funded by MI-fone (the fastest growing mobile Device Company in Africa today) was recorded in just one month and holds a special place in my soul and as it goes on soothing souls and elevating minds across the globe.
At the same time, my passion for fashion keeps driving me as I continue to grow my clothing brand "LizOgumbo."
 
Q: What do you want to relay from your music?
My aim is to entertain, elevate and inform minds while soothing souls through my unique sounds.
 
Q: Where do you draw inspiration?
Am inspired by my day to day realities. KenSoul is playful, energetic and passionately expresses a soul journey whose musical roots are anchored in my Luo tradition and branches out to Swahili – Chakacha sounds.
I grew up listening to the likes of Bob Marley, Miriam Makeba, Yvonne ChakaChaka, Brenda Fassie, Fela Kuti, Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys to name a few. I love music.
 

Q: How did you get into fashion business? Tell me about the challenges and your design concept
Growing up, my siblings and I were very well dressed. My mum used to do a "by the side" sowing. She paid such attention to details that the clothing came out very unique and tasteful.
Imani, my modeling agency later became by foundation and backbone in my fashion business. I began to run a skill – factory workshop as well with support from the British Council. The aim to help the younger girls through life journey within and without the modeling industry. Though that wasn’t the initial plan.
Fashion design was more or less a hobby, though finally my clothing brand "LizOgumbo" was later born in 2007.
In my design, I try to put together my believe and style into play. I believe less is more when you ooze with confidence, hence I have minimised fuss and accented the beauty of our individuality as beautiful women.
The challenges are there, production has been my biggest nightmare but my passion for fashion has kept me through it all.
Q: You are a published author, and you blog as well. What do you tell fellow women?


My book: The modeling industry, who is the ideal model? Is a way to express myself as a strong beautiful whole woman lacking nothing. After many years of struggling with challenges faced within the modeling world, I wanted to throw  light on the vicious part of modelling to young girls who are  not well equipped to face such challenges.
I use my blog as an avenue to reach out to people and share personal highs- fashion, inspirations and the kul people enabling kul things in the continent Africa!
Q: Which of all these are you most passionate with?
I am passionate with everything I love. These entirely sum up my creative side as they are all linked  through the power of art. Besides, I had to learn business, as that’s the only way my art can be converted into income for my livelihood.
Q: How about your profession; computer science. Have you abandoned that?
Knowledge is power and can never be abandoned. I am definitely not passionate with CS, however, there are things I am able to do because I acquired knowledge through studying.
Q: What is your greatest achievement?

Every day I wake up I am able to do something to enable someone. I win!
Q: What advice would you give other African women.

You are beautiful, whole and complete, lacking nothing! Shine!!

Q: Looking to the future, what’s the road map like?
I live my life one day at a time and I smell a beautiful future. I look forward to a beautiful family that will brighten my days while I continue to create beautiful music and fashion for each and every fragile mind to adore!!



                                                  Liz at a glance;
                                                 The story so far

2004: Founded a modelling agency - Imani( by faith in swahili)international Model Management in
          Los Angeles, USA and Incorporated in Nairobi, Kenya in 2006.

2005: Wrote a book denouncing the idea of a size zero models globally. Titled: "The modelling
           industry;
           who is the ideal model?"

2006:  Fashion Editor QZ, Magazine.

2007:  Launched as a fashion designer.
           Became the Ambassador, Oriflame Swedish cosmetics.

2008:  Pioneered a movement ; "Glam-up" at The British Council WAPI program.
           Liz through "Glam-up"  was able to raise the bar within the local fashion industry scene.
           Recieved a "young woman entreprenueur award from the US Embassy in Kenya.
           Represented the Kenyan fashion industry spokesperson at the 21st governing UN MDG
           Summit Kenya.
           Ran workshop and showcased at  British Council in Tanzania.
           Launched and showcased at FRESH at British Council in Dakar, Senegal.

2009: Liz Ogumbo showcased at the inaugural Africa fashion week in Johannesburg, South Africa.

2010: Launched the House of Imani: "Say it in Black" fashion collection at the Malindi Fashion
          Week, Kenya.
          Launched South East Soul - a collaboration music initiative blending musical inspiration
         from South Africa and East Africa under the musical direction of Bheki Khoza.
          April: AFROPICKS artist for Redbull Academy in Newtown, Johannesburg.
          June: In studio recording her debut album; KenSoul.
          Sep: KenSoul Launched @ Malva, Johannesburg.
          Oct: SA album tour.
          Nov:Launched her album KenSoul @ Pepper Club, Cape Town.
          Nov: Performed @ Big Brother Africa.
          Dec: New year's performance @ Moyo Stellenbosch.

2011:
          Feb:Liz Ogumbo presents Fashion meets Music performance @Design Indaba, Cape Town.
          March: Liz presents Fashion meets Music performance @ KICC, Nairobi.
          Music video: "Big ass in the blue Jeans"
          Apr: Music video: "Maro Pamore"
          May: Presents Fashion meets Music at Sanaa Festival, Johannesburg.
          Sep: Mentored the Miss Kenya finalists, Kenya.
          Oct: Launched showroom in Park Town North, Johannesburg.
          Dec: Showcased at Mozambique Fashion Week.

2012:
          March: Showcasing at South Africa Fashion Week.


                              Her Book: "The modeling industry!" "Who is the ideal model?"
                                      What Liz Ogumbo had to say.

"This book is the handbook that every beautiful woman/girl should hold on to for strength and hope."

"Media has always exposed the good and glamorous side of modeling industry, but not much is really covered on the bad and the ugly reality.
The book is definitely not your 'top ten tips on how to stay thin' handbook neither is it your guarantee to success within your hectic modeling career!

'Who is the ideal model?' brings out a general approach on how to believe in ourselves and trust that we are 'ideal' in whatever we set out to pursue. No one told me what to expect in this vicious industry about 15years ago when I just realized that I was slowly attracting the runways besides the boys. When all is said and done, I have been inspired to write this book hoping that it will inspire and help build self - esteem within many young girls in general along with everyone else who feel like they do not belong; those in pursuit of finding themselves.

I share some of my laughs and cries in the industry and how they affect me today, my spiritual approach to life, and the steps I take to be the change.My heart bleeds, when I see the wave getting bigger by the day, as the world continues to rotate on routine. The clock keeps ticking tick-tock as time declines to stop and wait on the 'anorexics' to recover. The time that has no second chance; not even for the crack-heads to make their way to rehab. The rain hits hard when it does, and when the dry season comes aroun, the green land dries up no matter what you did last summer!

This is my testament that you can be in the storm but you don't have to be affected by it!"
                                                                                                       

 Liz.


                                                                                                               



 
Check Liz out for her song download, fashion range and much more on:
www.lizogumbo.com ,
 www.lizogumbo.com/lookbook, (for her catalogue and ordering)
Subscribe to her also on www.facebook.com/liz.ogumbo,
 www.twitter.com/lizogumbo
What do you think about my pearl woman? Leave us a word.!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on lets hear your view on this.