Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Samona Naomi Williams is bound for the skies not the Wheelchair.

When Samona was struck by a rare illness that kept her bound to wheelchair and bed, it seemed like the world had came crashing on her. However, she was determined to be who she is created to be. Discovering the strength in her, her power, her rare gift of strength, she found her way around to cheat this life destroying illness. It is said this rare condition is incurable, can only be managed with combination of cocktail of medications. With such condition so threatening, humiliating and above all disarming, with unpredictable situations that comes like a wave of storm. Samona struggles to live and cope with daily normal life challenges like bathing etc. She was bound to be a burden and no longer the beautiful young rising film director who was a real asset.
Holding on to that special thing within, Samona collaborates with her photographer friend to create stunning images that are never been seen before. These images have not only been a source of strength and security for Samona but has become a source of inspiration, motivation and hope for many. It has become a campaign creating awareness on this illness.



How does Samona feel about her condition and where does she find strength to keep going ?
"Realising I wasn't going to recover easily, or quickly or worst still ever, I didn't know what to do. I had nightmares and I thought I could end it - MY LIFE!
There wasn't anyway I would live a life of being a burden to anyone. I felt worthless.
But then somehow, my strength soared thinking of diamonds, golds and all the beautiful and valuable things of life all went through immense pressure to become what they are. Then I began to see my illness from a different perspective, I began to see my value, my worth. I slowly began to see my illness as less torment more of growing into something greater than I have been. Today I could still contribute to my family and society by merely allowing myself to be me."




In trying to cope with this rare condition, Samona and her friend created an art project with their stunning images to tell the story of a woman BOUND to for the wheelchair but finds a way to cheat an illness that is not just debilitating my has no place in the life of anyone.


"This project BOUND meant I didn't have to be afraid any more. It gave me purpose, it soothed my pain and calmed my dark thoughts. It gave me my life back".


Samona's images will be exhibited at the Images of Black Women films festival kicking off May 4th and runs everyday till 11th of May.



*This will be another chance to get an exclusive sneak preview of what to expect from the main event as we will be planning a full "Bound" exhibition with all the images later in the year.

Main Bound Art Exhibition September 2013  - Will keep you updated on the launch party,

"Bound" is a collection of photographs depicting my journey through illness, and is a raw, unrestricted look at the moods and feelings I have experienced since being diagnosed. The photographer is Anthony David King*.
Samona's full story features on C.Hub magazine issue 3 out now. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on lets hear your view on this.