Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Pepper Okwesa talks fashion, style and the confidence from within.



                                                   


Pepper Okwesa.
"Accept your flaws , be yourself, be proud of who you are . Feel free to talk about your heritage " 
- Pepper  Okwesa (fashion journalist and celebrity stylist).

  She  also tells Faunteewrites about her Tshirt range (Purple Pepper), confidence and style, and the colours to watch out for this summer. 
















Tell me about your Purple Pepper Tshirt range
Couple of years ago,  I began on this pet project (Purple Pepper)  which is a taste of idea, a combination of message on how to play your cards right, and representing the history of African Queens and Kings. Telling a story of my upbringing  and experiences.

From my first collection, I have not developed the label much because of all my other projects, and I wouldn't call myself a designer, rather I have ideas and concepts that I like to express through clothing sometimes and it’s available for anyone who wishes to wear it. I have the collection available in our Retrospective vintage boutique in Lagos at the moment.


There has been a surge in the African fashion industry, what do you think is keeping the drive?
I guess it comes from an inefficiency and ignorance to truly represent African culture, fashion and style for what it really is for such a long time. Our fashion and experiences have been dominated by the West for too long and we are now in an era where people are simply fed up with being told who they are, about their culture or even what to wear. People are now taking steps to represent their work and having their voice and contributions heard. I think social media has been a great tool in making things happen for the industry. It's much easier now to have people network, share ideas and have their say. Media now is no longer in the hands of a few. There are new publications appreciating and expressing African fashion and style. So with all this going on it just seems like an explosion waiting for too long to happen.
   
What is the market reaction to these all, are they buying?
Yes! People are buying, embracing the creativity, quality and uniqueness of African print s, textiles and style also to support the industry. African fashion has gone beyond mere cutting and sewing Ankara. I am a little concerned about the strong focus of African fashion being solely luxury and high end in terms of price points when at times it is not justified. It would be very good when the industry has a platform and structure for more designers and brands to make African fashion more accessible and relevant to the everyday person. People are also buying African brands because the design quality and aesthetic have improved, though I still feel closer attention can be paid to craftsmanship as opposed to jumping onto the numerous fashion show and event bandwagons. I think this would help ensure the industry is not about trend rather my vision for African fashion is to be sustainable, empowering and timeless.

What do you recommend as a wardrobe must have for a busy Black woman and why?
a). Head wrap – especially in an African or a tasteful print. I love wraps for bad hair days and when I am in the cold.
b). Shoes with platform or wedged heel - they will keep you glamorous yet comfortable.
c). Classic blazer: Gives you the look of not trying too hard. A good stylish and well fitted blazer will always keep you looking on point and sophisticated.
d). Accessories: whatever your taste in accessories, the right combination will help you bring your look together, help you dress up or dress down for the occasion


What colours do it for you?
Honestly my choice of colour depends on my mood at a particular period. However, I like wearing colours that compliment my complexion. For me for example I would go for coral/oranges, red and turquoises; which work for dark skin tones and are uplifting. When I want to keep it fresh and clean I opt for whites and nudes. Of course you can’t go wrong with black!
Who is your Favourite African designer?
I don’t have one favourite designer rather I admire different elements of designers or their collection. What springs to mind first; I love Deola Sagoe because she is just a goddess when it comes to the art of storytelling through culture and fashion. Grey- I love their use of colour they are fresh and appealing. I am always happy when I wear a Grey piece. I think Maki Oh is a creative genius, her use of indigenous textiles is amazing and timeless. I am crazy about prints so Duro Oluwo is a favourite for me here too, his designs are so elegant yet eclectic. I really like Bestow Alan, Chichia London, because of their beautiful designs and consistency. There is a brand called To-orist that I really like too, I love their aesthetic and combination of art in their collections. I also love designers like Samantha Cole, Anita Quansha, Beatrice K Newman, who are not afraid to push boundaries.
How can African women use their style to express confidence and yet sexy?
First thing is coming to terms with yourself and accepting your flaws. Knowing your shape and going with who you are rather than imitating or trying to be someone else is also vital to confidence building. You are who God made you and no one can change that. Stay simple, stay you and people will come to know you for your own style and appreciate that. It is also very important for the ones that look up to you. Like your daughter, niece, sister etc, they will see that you are confident in your own skin and try to emulate that which is very important for young women in today’s society.
What trend do you predict this summer?
This summer there will be a lot of 1920s references in fashion, with flapper dressers, tassels etc; that whole Gatsby era. Colours will be bright again, especially in the way of techno or the ‘CYMK’ colour scheme – neon, citrus and strong blue hues. I think we will see a lot of lace this summer and of course African print and patterns will be very predominant this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on lets hear your view on this.